Monday, April 29, 2013

Creating an Inviting Entryway (In a Temporary Home)

I've been pondering what to do with our condo's entryway for months now. Our front door opens up directly into our family room and has only a tiny wood square on the floor to indicate an entryway. Not very inviting or functional! 

Since we have a toddler, we needed somewhere that we could: 
  • drop off keys, mail, purses, coats, etc
  • sit down to put on our shoes (this is very important with a three year old)
  • store our frequently used shoes (especially those that we wear around the house)
  • store items that are coming and going each day (such as lunch bags, paperwork, etc)

We also needed our entryway to be temporary and portable.  Something we could take with us when our lease is up on the condo.  And, we are unable to put large holes in the wall or customize the walls in any way. (Boo!)

I initially wanted to buy an old dresser and paint it a pretty color in order to give the entryway some pop.  Something like this:

Creating an Inviting Entryway

But alas, my lack of free time to paint had me heading down to IKEA to see what I could come up with in the way of finished furniture.  I ended up coming home with this baby. TONS of storage and the price was right. 

Creating an Inviting Entryway

I don't mind that everyone and their brother has this dresser in their home. I plan to customize it with some colorful drawer pulls or stencils in the future to make it more unique. For now, I am thrilled with the end product. Our entryway is a million times more inviting and functional! 

Creating an Inviting Entryway
 
Creating an Inviting Entryway

Creating an Inviting Entryway

My favorite part of the entryway has got to be my new fiddle leaf fig. I found it at Home Depot for $35!

Creating an Inviting Entryway

So that is my little entryway decorating project. I'm finally starting to get into the swing of things with my new job situation and my little guy's new schedule.  Hopefully, I will continue to have the time and energy to decorate and complete some DIY projects in the weeks to come!

~Jen

1 comment:

  1. I really like how it looks. I bought a similar one from Joss and Main, but after looking at yours I like yours better! Mine looks cheaper.

    ReplyDelete